Listen to this podcast. After listening, try the true/false exercise below.
1. Traders in their 40’s in one bank are known as “dinosaurs”
2. Everyone is happy with the new laws.
3. Employment Equality Age regulations became law on September 1
4. The Times newspaper said, “Ageism is still seen as not that bad…”
5. Sam Mercer is the chief executive of the Employers’ Forum
6. “Pale, stale males” are white middle-aged men
7. New employment laws in the EU will make it harder for older people to get a job
8. Many middle-aged bankers when fired often suffer financial ruin.
d. Let's talk:
- What do you think of ageism?
- Do you know anyone who has bee affected by ageism? If so, describe it.
- Do you think the European Union is right to have introduced these new employment laws?
- Do you think the new laws will act as a lever to help more, older workers to stay in employment, thus reducing the burden of paying pensions on both the state and private pension schemes?
SEE YOU NEXT CLASS!